Why are recreational drugs a problem?
Recreational drugs have a wide range of effects, and different people can respond / react to them in varying and different ways. In general terms the effects that are of aviation safety concern include:
- changes to mental function, thinking, and decision making
- changes to the sensory functions of the body
- reduction in co-ordination and physical performance
- potential for incapacitation, and
- changes to behaviour
- can trigger a mental illness including psychosis
Some of these effects can occur because of the drug itself, and some can occur afterwards (like a hangover), or because of withdrawal from the drug.